- 4 tablespoons olive oil.
- onion, chopped.
- cloves garlic, minced.
- red bell pepper, chopped.
ounces Spanish chorizo (cured spiced pork sausage), casing discarded and sausage cut into 1/4-inch dice.
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes.
- 1 (12 ounce) package uncooked Arborio rice.
- 5 cups chicken broth.
- ½ cup white wine.
- 1 sprig fresh thyme.
- 1 pinch saffron.
- salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- 2 squid, cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped.
- ½ cup frozen green peas.
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined.
- 1 pound mussels, cleaned and debearded.
- ¼ cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley.
- 8 slices lemon, for garnish.
Heat olive oil in paella pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and pepper; cook and stir for a few minutes. Add chorizo sausage, diced chicken, and rice; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 3 1/2 cups stock, wine, thyme leaves, and saffron. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, and simmer for 15 minutes; stir occasionally.
Taste the rice, and check to see if it is cooked. If the rice is uncooked, stir in 1/2 cup more stock. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally. Stir in additional stock if necessary: use up to 2 cups additional stock, 5 cups total. Cook until rice is done.
Stir in squid, tomatoes, and peas. Cook for 2 minutes. Arrange prawns and mussels on top. Cover with foil, and leave for 3 to 5 minutes.
Remove the foil, and scatter parsley over the food. Serve in paella pan, garnished with lemon wedges.